If you currently have a valid Protection from Abuse Order (PFA), you have the following protections, regardless of your income.
- PPL Electric Utilities cannot shut off your electric service during the winter without PUC permission.
- Depending on your income, a special payment arrangement may be available.
- Service may not be terminated on a Friday.
- You may not be held responsible for a bill in someone else’s name.
- You may not be required to pay a security deposit. If you are required to pay a security deposit, you may be able to pay it over three payments.
- You will receive additional notice prior to termination.
What is a PFA?
A PFA is an order from the court that protects you and your children from your abuser. It is a civil order that you can request on your own behalf against a family or household member who is abusing you. Under the law, abuse is considered:
- Bodily injury or rape. Criminal charges do not need to be filed.
- Reasonable fear of imminent serious bodily injury.
- False imprisonment, including being kept or held for a short period of time or being grabbed by the arms and not allowed to move or leave.
- Child abuse.
- Stalking, including being followed or watched at home or at work, and/or being sent unwanted letters, gifts, email or telephone calls.
Domestic Violence Programs
Your local domestic violence hotline is available 24 hours a day, and all services are free and confidential. For more information, look in the blue pages of your local phone book, or call 1-800-799-SAFE for contact information.
Note: In order to receive these protections from PPL Electric Utilities, you will be required to provide PPL Electric Utilities with a copy of your PFA Order. However, PPL Electric Utilities will not share this information with any third party.