Clearances Over Areas and Buildings:
Per the National Electrical Safety Code (NESC), cabled service drop, 600 Volts and less, shall have a minimum clearance above:
- Roads, Streets, Alleys, Parking Lots subject to truck traffic - 16 feet. Pennsylvania State highways - 18 feet. (Note - Service drops shall not cross limited access highways or the PA Turnpike).
- Lands traversed by agricultural vehicles such as cultivated, grazing, forest, orchard, etc. - 16 feet.
- Roofs accessible to vehicular traffic - 16 feet.
- Signs, Chimneys, Antennas, Tanks, etc. - 42 inches.
- Communication conductors, cables, and messengers on same structure - 40 inches.
- Residential driveways and commercial areas not subject to truck traffic - 16 feet, 12.5 feet 1, 12 feet 2.
- Spaces accessible to pedestrians only - 12 feet, 10.5 feet 1, 10 feet 2.
- Roofs and balconies accessible to pedestrians - 11 feet, 8 feet 3.
- Roofs and projections not accessible to pedestrians - 3.5 feet, 3 feet 3, 18 inches 4, 36 inches 5.
- Sloping Roofs per NEC/IRC
- 8 feet minimum if slope is less then 4 inches to 12 inches ratio.
- 3 feet minimum if slope is greater than or equal to 4 inches to 12 inches ratio.
1 Limited to 300 Volts to ground.
2 Limited to 150 Volts to ground.
3 Conductors attached to building.
4 Where service does not pass over more than 48 inches horizontal of the overhang/eaves portion of the roof, and the service is terminated at a through-the-roof raceway or approved support.
5 Where service does not pass over more than 72 inches horizontal of the overhang/eaves portion of the roof, and the service is terminated at a through-the-roof raceway or approved support.