A development is a single parcel of land or contiguous parcels of land under the ownership and control of an individual, partnership or corporation (referred to as developer) who can contract with PPL EU for the establishment and construction of an underground distribution system in a designated area.
Underground System Defined:
Underground facilities are an underground distribution system when the facilities:
- Include primary supply line to one or more distribution transformers, secondary distribution mains and/or service laterals to each customer's premises.
- Are all within the designated underground service area.
- Supply more than one customer in more than one building.
PPL EU may establish an underground distribution system within the designated area of the development which would normally be served by overhead distribution and provide underground service to individual customer's premises, under an agreement with the developer under which the developer agrees to:
- Pay PPL EU, PPL EU's estimated excess cost for installing underground electrical distribution facilities over normal overhead construction.
- Establish grade for the entire system, excavate, backfill and restore all trenches. Furnish and install all conduits from PPL EU's terminal pole(s) to points of service including handholes, manholes and foundations for PPL EU's cables for three phase distribution systems.
- Furnish and install foundations for all above grade transformers or vaults for transformers located in buildings. Furnish and install protective barriers when specified.
- Upon completion of construction, ownership of all physical facilities installed by customer on the line side of the points of service not located in, on or under buildings, shall vest in PPL EU free-of-charge. PPL EU thereafter will maintain these facilities at no cost to customer.
- Grant to PPL EU, free-of-charge by perpetual easement, the sole right to use, maintain and extend the facilities transferred to PPL EU.
PPL EU Installs Electrical System:
PPL EU installs, owns and maintains the complete electrical system from the connection to the overhead distribution system to the point of service at each customer's premises. The point of service for the individual customers is the same as described in paragraph (e) Rule 10. No overhead service is provided within an underground service area.
Selecting Location for Vaults and Transformers:
The customer and PPL EU choose the location of the vaults or transformer foundations or enclosure to permit free access to suitable driveway or other area for use by PPL EU's mobile crane to install, replace or remove transformers and where future extension to the buildings will not block the access.
The customer is solely responsible for the choice of location of transformer foundations in relation to combustible materials, buildings, fire escapes and door and wall openings. Whenever fire restricting barriers, enclosures or other safeguards are required by any authority having jurisdiction, such safeguards are installed, owned, and maintained entirely by the customer at customer's expense.
Sketch #38 shows a typical transformer vault installation and Sketch #40 shows a foundation for a typical pad-mount transformer installation.
Service Laterals Installed After System is Completed:
When buildings provided for in the original agreement, are erected after the system is completed, the customer or builder constructing the building is responsible for excavating, backfilling and restoring the surface of the trench for the service lateral and installing such mechanical facilities as the developer would have furnished and installed had the building been erected when the system was constructed.
PPL EU assumes ownership of the conduit to the building, when installed, upon completion and installs, owns and maintains the service lateral cables.
See CRS 6-15-160, CRS 6-18-115, CRS 6-22-199.