Our new automated power restoration system is turning the lights back on for customers in minutes, even before a work crew has made repairs.
The system uses smart grid technology. Here’s how it works:
- Pole-top sensors detect outages.
- A central computer quickly analyzes the problem.
- Remote-control switches reroute power to restore customers to service.
- Smart grid technology senses power outages
Power Restored Faster
- The smart grid system restores power to many affected customers in minutes – before repairs are made
30% fewer outages today
than 10 years ago
We're planning another
15% reliability improvement
in the next five years
Smart grid devices are one part of our investments to improve reliability for customers. Other work includes new power lines and substations; stronger, more storm-resistant poles; and trimming more trees. We’re strengthening the electric delivery system to meet customer expectations for safe, reliable service.